Yangtze Blog Yangtze Cruise InquiryContact us

China Travel Document: Chinese Visa, Passport, Tibet Permit
You are here: Home > Customer Support > Passport & Visa

Passport & Chinese Visa

Foreign travelers are required to bring valid passport and Chinese Visa when traveling to China. If you want to travel deeply to more destinations in China like Tibet, you need to apply for the special permits.


A passport with minimum of six month validity is required for passengers traveling to China. You should provide the accurate information of the passport, including full name, date of birth, gender, nationality, passport No. and date of expiration to confirm yourself before booking Yangtze River cruises or tours with us.

Chinese Visa

Chinese Visa, issued through Chinese embassies or consulates overseas, is a necessity for visitors traveling to China. It is recommended that visitors apply for Chinese Visa (Tourist Visa) one or two months before the pre-arranged travel.

Tourist Visa (L Visa)

Our travelers usually apply for Tourist Visa. This kind of visa is issued to those who intend to go to China as a tourist. Persons who come to China for group travel can be issued Group L Visas.

You need to apply for double-entry Visa if you need to leave for Hong Kong, Macao, or Taiwan from mainland China and re-entering mainland China. Please kindly confirm the situation with your International Airline Company or your travel consultant.

Chinese Visa

72-hour Visa free Transit Policy

Up to now, citizen of the certain countries who meet the criteria could enjoy the 72-hour visa free transit visa and travel in the cities of China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shenyang, Dalian, Xian, Guilin, Kunming, Wuhan, Xiamen, Hangzhou and Harbin.

72-hour visa free requirements:

  1. Passport holders belong to the citizen of 51 countries and regions;
  2. Hold valid travel documents and the confirmed flight with date & seat for the third country with 72 hours;
  3. Go to the third country via the 72-hour visa-free transit airport.


Qualified Airports for Entry

The airports include Beijing Capital International Airport, Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao Airport, Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport, Shenyang Xiantao International Airport, Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport, Guilin Liangjiang International Airport and Xian Xianyang International Airport etc.

Qualified Countries:

European Citizens (of 37 countries): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania.

Americans (of 6 countries): United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and the Republic of Chile.

Oceanians (of 2 countries): Australia and New Zealand.

Asians (of 6 countries): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.

Tibet Travel Permit

If you want to extend to Tibet, you need a Chinese visa and Tibet Permit to visit the holy land. Tibet Travel Bureau starts to issue Tibet Travel Permit from late March every year. Travelers need to obtain several Tibet permits, including Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB Permit), Alien Travel Permit (PSB Permit) and Military Permit.

Tibet Permit

TTB Permit: The Tibet Entry Permit is a must for foreign travelers, Overseas Chinese with no Chinese passport, Taiwan citizen to go to Tibet. If you are Hong Kong and Macau citizens, there is no need to apply for TTB permit.

Aliens Travel Permit: This permit is required when you want to travel to the remote areas in Tibet. PSB permit can be issued in the capital city of each prefecture in Tibet by local Public Security Bureau.

Military Permit: If you want to go to the military or sensitive areas in Tibet, you need to obtain military permit.

We are a local and leading travel agency in China not only offering Yangtze River Cruise, but also offering tour packages in all over China. If you have any questions or needs, please feel free to contact us and our professional travel consultants are here ready to help!

Not easy to find the right cruise ship/itinerary for you? Please contact one of our Yangtze cruise specialists to save your time and money. Click the right button to send an online inquiry and we will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hours.

Your can rely on their expert knowledge and endless enthusiasm!

Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests

  • Your Question:
  • Your Name:
  • Your Email:
  • Submit