4 Days Chongqing Essence Tour with Yangtze Cruise
Chongqing / Yangtze Cruise / Yichang
- Three Gorges Museum
- Ciqikou Old Town
- Chongqing Zoo
- Hongya Cave
- Three Gorges Dam
- Three Gorges
- Shibaozhai Pagoda
- Shennv Stream
- Explore the Mountain City leisurely to absorb some history and culture;
- Enjoy a relaxing downtream Yangtze cruise from Chongqing to Yichang, taking 4 days & 3 nights.
Sampling Itinerary Day by Day
Day 1 Chongqing (L)
Welcome to Chongqing, the Mountain City of China! Upon arrival, the local guide will meet you at Chongqing Jiangbei Airport or train station and escort you to downtown area for today’s sightseeing.
First drive to Chongqing Zoo which has more than 240 species of animals and over 4,200 in total. In the Panda House, you can have a memorable time and close contact with the lovely giant pandas and red pandas. Besides, you can see the rare South China tiger and white tiger, the Asian elephant and more animals.
Next will be an interesting visit to the thousand-year-old Ciqikou Ancient Town, a famous business harbor in ancient time. Reputed as “Little Chongqing”, Ciqikou is a heaven-like place where you can leisurely wander along the bustling old streets with Ming and Qing architectures standing by, visit the featured shops, taste delicate local snacks, or enjoy a cup of at the old teahouse.
Later drive about 13km from Ciqikou to Three Gorges Museum which sits opposite to People’s Assembly Hall. Entering into this large and modern museum, you’ll have a deep understanding about the geography of Yangtze River, the changes of Three Gorges and the world-famous project Three Gorges Dam; know the history of ancient Ba and Yu, as well as learn about every aspect of Chongqing City in 20th century.
Then drive to the “The First Corridor across Yangtze River” to experience the 1166-meter-long Yangtze River Cableway to have a panoramic view of the mountain city and Yangtze River. (Please note: it’s recommended to take Yangtze River cableway in a clear day.) Before the night falls, head to Hongya Cave to end your today’s Chongqing tour. You’ll find yourselves in a world of stilted buildings with old streets lined with featured souvenir stores, elaborate specialty shops and spectacular collection of restaurants ranging from western food to Japanese cuisine to various Chinese favorites. If time permits, enjoy the stunning night view of Hongya Cave at sunset.
In the late afternoon, you’ll be transferred to Chongqing Chaotianmen Port to board your ship during 18:00~21:00. Your 4-day relaxing downstream Yangtze River cruise will sail at 21:00!
Tips for boarding: 1) Please call the ship one day ahead or at least in the morning on the boarding day to have clear idea about which pier you are going to use; 2) There are 13 sub-pier of Chongqing Chaotianmen Port that tell the exact pier to your driver to avoid too much walking; 3) The boarding time and departure piers may change based on the ship line, water level, season, weather and other factors. Please pay attention to the important info your travel consultants sent to you before your boarding.
Beautiful Night View of Hongya Cave
Ciqikou Old Town
Three Gorges Museum
Board Yangtze Cruise Ship at Chaotianmen Port
Day 2 Yangtze River Cruise (B, L, D)
In this morning, wake up leisurely and enjoy the gentle sunshine shining over the tranquil Yangtze River. You can either follow the Taichi master to play Taichi on the sundeck or enjoy a cup of coffee to stretch your mood to start your beautiful day. It will be colorful and interesting no matter you stay onboard or go shore excursions at river stops.
Onboard you will enjoy different kinds of cultural activities and entertainment, like attending a Yangtze River History and Culture Lecture to know deeply about the third longest river in the world, taking part in the Captain’s Welcome Party to make new friends, or having great fun at the wonderful evening shows with sing, dance and music.
Also, you will follow a local English-speaking tour guide and make a shore excursion to Shibaozhai Pagoda, a pearl of Yangtze River in Zhongxian County. Reputed as one of the eight extraordinary architectures in the world, this 12-story, 16th century red wooden pagoda leans against the side of the rocky and craggy hill about 200 meters tall. Climbing up to the top of Shibaozhai, you can not only visit the Buddhist temples and halls but also have panoramic view of Yangtze River. (Please note: Comfortable shoes are highly recommended since there will be many stairs to climb up the pagoda.)
Optional excursion: Have a shore excursion to Fengdu Ghost City today with an extra fee. Called “the Homeland of Divine Comedy in China”, it consists of buildings, structures, dioramas and statues related to the afterlife in hell. Entering this “City of Ghosts”, you will know many mysterious stories about underworld and cruel tortures and different kinds of devils and Chinese demons. (Please note: the visit to Fengdu Ghost City requires much walking and comfortable shoes highly recommended!)
Breathtaking Autumn Scenery of Yangtze Gorge
Shibaozhai Pagoda, a Pearl of Yangtze River
Fengdu Ghost City
Day 3 Yangtze River Cruise (B, L, D)
Today you will sail through the spectacular Three Gorges! Follow the guide’s live interpretation and soak up the breathtaking gorge scenery passing by as you drift through Qutang Gorge, Wu Gorge and Xiling Gorge respectively.
On this day, take an enjoyable shore excursion to Shennv Stream (Goddess Stream), a tributary of the Yangtze River in Wushan County. You will be switched to a smaller boat to sail down this primitive stream running in a narrow side gorge where you will have close-up views of steep mountains and hanging coffins high on the cliffs as well as hear some of the local history. Besides, you will be entertained with local music and dance offered by the Tujia ethnic group.
In this evening, enjoy the well-prepared Captain’s Farewell Party with all your mates onboard and have a pleasant dinner together.
Optional excursion: Enjoy a shore excursion to White Emperor City today with an extra fee. Located at the entrance of Qutang Gorge, this excursions gives you the chance to know Romance of the Three Kingdoms and offers the best pot to appreciate the magnificent “Kui Gate”.
Shennv Stream with Primitive Gorge Scenery
Breathtaking Wu Gorge Scenery
Day 4 Yangtze Cruise to Yichang & Yichang Departure (B)
After breakfast, you’ll go through a check-out procedure and disembark at Maoping Port. Then, take a morning shore excursion to visit the world-famous project - Three Gorges Dam. The dam is the largest hydropower station in the world with an annual energy output of 84.7 billion kilowatt-hours. The Three Gorges Dam includes three areas: the dam itself, a hydroelectric, and a system of locks. The height of the Three Gorges Dam is 185 meters (607 ft) above the sea level. The dam is about 2,300 meters (7,546 ft) long and about 115 meters (377 ft) wide. With a water capacity of 39.3 billion cubic meters, the dam will hold a huge reservoir which will efficiently prevent flooding in the middle and lower portions of the Yangtze River. (Optional experience: you can choose to sail through the world’s largest ship lift - Three Gorges Dam Ship Lift to very closely marvel at the huge dam which is a totally fresh and exciting experience for travelers.)
After the dam visiting, you’ll take the tourist bus arranged by the cruise company transferring you to Yichang Three Gorges Center Cruise Terminal around 12:30~13:30. Here you’ll be picked up and escorted to Yichang Airport / train station for your flight or train to next destination.
Tips & Note: No matter you take Ship Lift or not, you’ll do check out procedure in this early morning. (1) Only dam visiting: you’ll take bus from Maoping Port to Three Gorges Dam for sightseeing. You’ll arrive at Yichang downtown around 12:30. (2) Dam & Ship Lift Experience: travelers who are interested in Ship Lift will first switch to a sightseeing boat to sail through the Ship Lift and then visit Three Gorges Dam Site. You’ll arrive at Yichang downtown area around 13:30.
Departure Ideas: You can take flights from Yichang Sanxia Airport to Shanghai, Xian, Beijing, Guangzhou and Hangzhou, etc. Or you can take high speed trains from Yichang East Railway Station to Wuhan (about 2hrs), Shanghai (about 8hrs), Beijing (about 7.5hrs), Hangzhou (about 7.5hrs), Chengdu (about 7hrs), Guangzhou (about 7hrs) and more cities.
Three Gorges Dam Ship Lift, the Largest Ship Lift in the World
World-famous Three Gorges Dam
Recommended Add-on Options
+ 3 more days to explore the capital city of China - Beijing
Get into the imperial capital city whose story goes back at least 3000 years.
Beijing’s opulent royal palaces, temples and magnificent walls and gates make it the first tourist destination in China. A wealth of history, both ancient (Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace) and more recent (Tiananmen Square, Bird’s Nest & Water Cube) will inspire your imagination. A visit to the Great Wall, the longest manmade structure in the world, is absolutely essential.
+ 2 more days to explore the Ancient of Heart - Xian
Explore the glorious past in the ancient capital of China for 13 dynasties!
With a history of over 3000 years, Xian is the birthplace of Chinese civilization and capital of most important dynasties in early Chinese history. It is known as the eastern terminus of the famed Silk Road and home to the Terracotta Army along with many other historical sites, like Ancient City Wall, Giant Wild Goose Pagoda and so on.
+ 2 more days to visit the largest metropolis in China - Shanghai
Experience the past, present and future of China all at once!
The Huangpu River splits Shanghai into two districts: Pudong and Puxi. The Pudong skyline with stunning tall buildings like Shanghai Tower, Shanghai World Financial Center and Oriental Pearl TV Tower gives you a flourishing scene of modern Shanghai. On the Puxi side, walk along the Bund to get a taste of old Shanghai. What a huge contrast!
- Entrance fees of the scenic spots as listed in the itinerary.
- Meals as specified in the itinerary.(Exceptions: If the western breakfast is not available in some of the hotels, breakfast would be either Chinese breakfast or Chinese and western breakfast.)
Hotels: Hotel Based on two persons sharing one room with
or a king size
bed; All hotels as listed in the above itinerary serve daily western or
Please note double bed room is on request basis which is subject to Hotel's
and re-confirmation upon check-in.
Service, room facilities and breakfast might be not up to standard in some remote areas.
- Transportation: Flights or train as listed in the itinerary.
- Sightseeing As listed in the Itinerary will be escorted with English-speaking guide;
Service of local guide and van is for a maximum of 8 hours
the full day individual
* Please note that our English-speaking guide and driver provided for you in each city or area will not fly with you from one city to another.
- Private Transfers between airports, hotels and scenic spots while sightseeing in each city or area by private air-conditioned vehicle with driver and English-speaking guide as listed in the itinerary.
- Service Charge (the planning, handling, operational and communication charges) & Government Taxes.
- Luggage Transfers between airports, trains and hotels.
- Flights (Economy class) not as listed in the itinerary.
- Accommodation not as listed in the itinerary.
- Visa Fees: Please make sure that you have got your valid passport and visa before your entry to China. We can send you a free official invitation letter to assist you in obtaining your visa after the reservation deposit is received.
- Sightseeing not listed in the itinerary.
- Meals not listed in the itinerary.
- Personal expenses such as room service, internet charge, laundry, drink, fax, telephone call, optional activities, etc.
- Gratuities, tips to guides, drivers, bellboys, etc.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
- Life Tourist insurance. Please kindly note that the full coverage travel insurance from your country of origin should be purchased in advance on your own.
- Optional activities.
Read what other travelers think about this China trip / Yangtze cruise trip. We only accept reviews from actual, confirmed travelers who purchased the tour / activity from us, so you can be sure the reviews are unbiased and authentic.
Thank you and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.
Thanks again forour smooth running of our tour. And your dedicated and responsible staff like Ruby, tour guide liu and driver luo...
Also we are impressed by Emei mountain resort.
- Thong - December 25, 2019‚ ,
I agree to allow my answers and comments below regarding our China travels arranged by your Tour Operator Ms Riley Guo be put on your website.
1.Did your travel consultant of our company quickly reply to your E-mails and were they patient enough to answer your questions?
- Yes, Ms Riley Guo assisted me in planning our entire tour from beginning to end (from Kunming to Beijing) months before our trip, patiently guided me through every aspect of our journey making good suggestions and provided alternates.
- She always replied to my email inquiries promptly, answering all questions I had for her. She is extremely patient and courteous throughout the "developmental" stages of our planning.
2.Do you have any comments concerning your tour arrangements?
- The tour arrangements were exactly as planned, with the only exception when we encountered a problem where the original plan had to be modified, see answers to Q 4 below. The Tour Operator handled our problem in a timely fashion to our great satisfaction, in face above my expectations. When we encountered other minor problems during our tour, we received prompt attention and assistance from Ms. Guo promptly via WeChat and phone calls, often outside of regular office hours.
3.Are you willing to recommend our service to anyone who also may have an interest to visit China?
- Definitely "Yes". I have no hesitation of recommending your services to anyone interested.
4.What is your general opinion of us?
My opinion regarding:
- Advice and guidance provided in planning stage: Excellent!
- Ms Riley Guo our Tour Operator: Very knowledgeable, paid attention to details.
- Cost: I found your cost very reasonable and easily affordable.
- Efficiency: You run an efficient operation.
- Accuracy: Ms. Guo's suggestions and plans were accurate.
- Honesty: My travel team and I are particularly impressed by the honesty and integrity of your approach to business and in treating your customers when problems do arise. I will cite the following Two Examples:
(1) When Ms Guo made a minor error in our planning, she offered to take $100USD off from our final fees. When I found out that the fee reduction would come out of her commission I was so impressed with her honesty I declined to accept the fee reduction. I would suspect many operators would not even inform the client of such errors.
(2) You were not able to book the high speed train ride for us from Yichang to Beijing after the Yangtze River Cruise. Instead your company put us on a flight for that, and you arranged for a guided day tour of Yichang while waiting for flight time at NO EXTRA costs to us. It was a surprise and pleasant tour.
5.Do you have any suggestions on improving our services?
- I think you are already proving a reliable and trustworthy service to your clients as experienced by me and my travel companions.
- The fact that Ms Guo has such a superb command of written English would no doubt be an invaluable asset to your company in helping non-Chinese speaking clients from overseas who want to explore China.
- Vincent - December 12, 2019‚ ,
Here are recent candid photos of this China trip / Yangtze cruise trip. If you want to share your own tour photos, simply email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Booking ID Number. Thanks in advance for sharing!
You might also like
Chongqing / Yangtze Cruise / Yichang
Chongqing / Yangtze Cruise / Yichang / Zhangjiajie