Chongqing Foods & Restaurants
What to Eat in Chongqing
1. The most famous Chongqing dish is a spicy hotpot called Mala huoguo, a cauldron of red, bubbling soup in which diners cook raw meats and vegetables. The longer it simmers the spicier it gets and the custom is to save the leafy vegetables for last. Watch out – they pick up all the spices. If this sounds a bit too much, many restaurants also serve a yuan-yang hotpot with one side red and the other a clear chicken broth.
2. Many street vendors sell a cold noodle topped with cucumbers and drenched in a spicy sauce then sprinkled with chopped garlic.
3. Barbecue is a popular way of cooking and can be less spicy. Small rice dumpling in a hot soup (Shancheng xiaotangyuan) is usually filled with sweet sesame paste.
4. Chicken is cooked in a variety of ways and two popular dishes are spicy chicken (Lazi ji) and a spicy chicken appetizer (koushui ji) that are served cold. Chongqing's spring chicken (mineral water spring, not the season) is a local specialty. It is so good there is a whole street (nanshanquanshuiji yitiaojie) dedicated to serving it. The chicken can be found by Nanshan Park at Huangjueya in the Nan'an District.
5. Other goodies to look for include simple noodles (dandan mian), Sichuan five-spiced beef jerky (laosichuan wuxiang niuroumian) and huge pomelos (liangping you).
Where to Eat in Chongqing
1. Wuyi Road is well known as hotpot road and has numerous options.
2. Bayi Road by the Liberation Monument is a food market that teems everything from noodles to barbecue.
Restaurants in Chongqing
- Chongqing Hotel: specialize in southern cuisine like barbecue and tofu with egg yolk; they have monthly specials like guoba yuzai and qingsun xiangla zaitu.
Address: 235 Minsheng Road, Yuzhong District
Tel: 6384 5888
Opening Hours: 24 hours
- Chongqing Little Swan Bayu Restaurant
Address: 6/F, New Chongqing Square, 22 Minzu Lu, Yuzhong District
Tel: 6378 8811
Opening Hours: 11am to 9:30pm
- Fuling Sichuan Restaurant
Address: 186 Minzu Road, Yuzhong District
Opening Hours: 10am to 2pm, 4:30 pm to 9:30pm
Address: 7/F Daduhui Guangchang, 68 Zourong Road, Yuzhong District
Tel: 6383 5988
Opening Hours: 24 hours
Recommended Chongqing Tours
Not easy to find the right cruise ship/itinerary for you? Please contact one of our Yangtze cruise specialists to save your time and money. Click the right button to send an online inquiry and we will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hours.
Your can rely on their expert knowledge and endless enthusiasm!
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: